Stacked Stone Retaining Wall
The dramatic effect has been created using for stacked stone on this sloping retaining wall next to the driveway entrance.
Stacked stone/Stone veneer is used as a protective and decorative covering for exterior or interior vertical walls and surfaces. The veneer is typically 1 inch thick and must weigh less than 15 pounds per square foot (73 kg/m2) so that no additional structural supports will be required.
The advantages of natural stacked stone/stone veneer over manufactured stone are:
- Durability (real stone will not fade or crack over time. It lasts for centuries)
- Aesthetics (Made by Mother Nature, its look is generally viewed as superior to the man-made painted cultured stone product. Characteristics which identify natural stone such as the texture,moss or lichen growing on the rock, unique shapes, etc. cannot be matched with manufactured stone.)
- Its semi-light weight eliminates the need for wall ties or footings and make it easier and cheaper to build.
- There are also disadvantages for natural stone compared to manufactured stone veneer:
- cost saving (material costs, see above)